iiNet's privacy statement
iiNet is committed to providing excellent service and protecting your personal information is important to us. This statement explains how we collect, use, share and hold your personal information.
What personal information we collect
iiNet collects personal information from our customers including the type of information required to provide our services such as your name, address, date of birth, gender, contact details, payment information, credit information, driver’s licence number, usage data, iiNet username, password and voice password.
If you don’t provide all or part of the personal information we require, we may not be able to provide you with the relevant services.
How we may collect your personal information
iiNet usually collects personal information about you directly. For example, we collect information when you provide it to us by phone or email.
iiNet usually collects personal information about you directly. For example, we collect personal information when you provide information to us by phone or email, or when you enter your personal details on our websites.
We may also collect information about you indirectly, including from:
- our employees, agents, contractors or suppliers;
- third parties such as our related companies, credit reporting bodies and credit providers;
- third parties such as sporting clubs and community organisations that we partner with;
- third parties such as utility aggregators who provide product comparison services for telecommunications market;
- our customer’s authorised representatives;
- other telecommunication and information service providers;
- our equipment; and
- publicly available sources of information.
Why we collect your personal information
Your personal information is collected and used by iiNet so we can go about our day-to-day business of providing you awesome customer service.
For example, to:
- verify your identity;
- assess whether you are eligible for our services;
- assist you to complete an application that was abandoned;
- carry out checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- process your application to become an iiNet customer;
- provide the services you require;
- deal with enquiries and provide customer support;
- manage your services, including billing, account management and collecting debts;
- research and develop our products and services;
- business planning;
- provide information to the manager of the Integrated Public Number Database (IPND);
- provide you with information about our services, products and special offers (and marketing those products to you unless you have requested us not to do so).
How we may share your personal information
We may need to share your personal information to organisations outside iiNet. We ensure that these companies take the security of your personal information as seriously as we do.
We may need to share your personal information to organisations outside iiNet, for example, with:
- suppliers so we can supply the service to you;
- technicians we engage to resolve faults concerning your service;
- a credit reporting body or credit provider if you fail to make payments due under our CRA;
- a fraud-checking agency to carry out checks;
- debt collection agencies and similar parties that assist with debt-recovery;
- specialist contractors for the purposes of research and development;
- other communication companies, for specific marketing campaigns;
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- other telecommunications and information service providers, for example, for billing purposes;
- your authorised representative or contact person in the manner you have agreed to;
- your legal advisers, if requested by you to do so;
- a duly authorised government, regulatory authority or other organisation such as the TIO, when we are required or specifically permitted by law to do so (for example, to the operator of the IPND, which supplies information for telephone directories) or to resolve customer complaints or disputes;
- a specified recipient if a court order compels us to do so, and
- law enforcement agencies concerning the enforcement of criminal and other laws if we are compelled, or required to do so.
There are some circumstances where iiNet may provide your personal information to an organisation located outside of Australia. These organisations work with us to provide professional services in software development, systems and technical support, data storage, marketing and product development. The countries these organisations are based in include: Singapore, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, China, Malaysia, South Africa, India and Indonesia. We ensure that these companies take the security and confidentiality of your personal information as seriously as we do.
How we hold your personal information
We keep customer information on controlled systems, which are secure against unauthorised access. Proof of identity is always required before personal information is disclosed to any person, including the specific customer. We take particular care with credit card details, which are not stored unencrypted in iiNet systems.
How to access & correct your personal information
We maintain and update the personal information we hold as it becomes necessary, for example when our customers inform us that their personal information has changed. A customer can request opt-out of certain communications and make changes to their personal information directly through their Toolbox, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 13 22 58.
Please contact us if you wish to access or correct personal information that we hold about you.
Contact us about our privacy statement
Date: 11 March 2014